THE CHURCH HISTORY
In 1888, a small group of God-fearing people, led by a young country preacher named Rev. T.H. Ewing, formed a prayer band and began to meet regularly. They secured an old meat market that was used by a grocer during the day, and by the prayer band at night. The prayer band was named “Zion”, and was the humble beginning of the Zion Baptist Church. Rev. Ewing was succeeded by Rev. Huffman, Rev. Adams, and Rev. James Bingaman. In 1910, Rev. W.F. Botts took over the leadership of Zion and within a few years Zion had become the city’s largest African American church. Under his guidance, the present church structure was built after the smaller building was destroyed during an Easter Sunday tornado in March, 1913. After Rev. Botts came Rev. J.R. Young, Rev. C.C. Harper, and Rev. M.K. Curry. Rev. Curry was succeeded by Rev. F.C. Williams who had served as Interim Pastor of Zion from 1938-1945. Under Rev. Williams’ leadership, the church became debt-free.
Celebrating our 125th year anniversary has been an inspirational milestone in the life of the Zion family. Through the years, we have given much, and we have also received much. We thank God for His blessings, as we continue to march forward--standing on His promises, Believing in His Word!